On August 14th 1655, Balzan became known as a separate Catholic community. However, the main Parish church at that time was not the one we find in the middle of the village square today.
The Parish Church: The foundation stone of today’s Parish Church, dedicated to Our Lady of the Annunciation, was laid in 1669. Architectural plans for this church, in the shape of a Latin Cross, began in 1665. In this church many artistic treasures are found, works by famous painters such as Giuseppe Calleja, Chev. Emvin Cremona and Paul Camilleri Cauchi. The titular statue is Salvatore Dimech’s work, completed in 1898.
Good Shepherd: Pertaining to the sisters of the Good Shepherd convent, this chapel was built in 1898 after the sisters decided to broaden their work among the needy. Architect V. Busuttil built the chapel at his own expense. Other famous benefactors who helped the sisters throughout their history included Cardinal Ferrata as well as Great Britain’s Queen Elizabeth who was still a princess when she visited the convent.
Maria Assumpta: This church is found in Main Street and just in front of it there is a statue of St. Mary. The church is very old. In fact, it was consecrated for the second time in 1675, after it had been profaned and rebuilt.
St. Michael’s: This church, built in the 14th century by a certain Mikiel Zarb, does not exist anymore. It used to stand at crossroads in the middle of Valley Road.
Church dedicated to the Birth of St. Mary: This is another church which is historically known to have existed at some time around 1575. However, no other information is known about it, not even its exact position.
Church dedicated to the Annunciation of Our Lady: This small church, found in Three Churches Street, still retains many of the original features it had when it was built. It was the main parish church up to 1655.
St. Anard’s: This church is another of the three churches found in the street bearing the same name, i.e. Three Churches Street. However, one cannot recognise it as an old church today since it was converted into a house several years ago. It was originally built in 1575.
St. Roque’s: This Church, also found in Three Churches Street, was built in 1593 after an outbreak of the plague in that same year. Victims were buried in the church. The main painting shows St. Roque, St. Paul and St. Sebastian, all protectors against the plague.